Kauai Lagoons Resort
A Legacy of Elegant Hospitality
As part of the Kalapaki ahupua’a, the Kauai Lagoons Resort was for most of the last century a part of the large agricultural holdings of the Rice family. Descended from some of Kauai’s original missionaries, the Rice family lands were used for ranching and the cultivation of sugar cane. In the 1920’s, Charles Rice built an elegant summer home at Kalapaki Bay which became renown for its hospitality, and played host to celebrity visitors from European royalty to the young tobacco heiress Doris Duke.
Following World War II, the Rice family moved away. In the ensuing decades a hotel, the Kauai Surf, was developed on part of the site, now the home of the Kauai Marriott Resort & Beach Club. In the mid-1980s, the Kauai Surf was acquired and renovated by renowned resort developer Chris Hemmeter. It reopened as the Westin Kauai, Kauai’s first mega-resort. The Westin Kauai featured opulent architecture, Asian art treasures, and boasted Kauai’s largest swimming pool. The area known as Kauai Lagoons was also developed at that time, its spectacular location home to two world-class golf courses, a man-made 38-acre lagoon complete with exotic water fowl, miles of meandering shoreline, and miniature islands. A small luxury shopping center and two distinctive restaurants followed.
For more than a dozen years, the resort lay dormant (but for its famed Kiele golf course which continued to earn acclaim.)Building on its legacy of elegant hospitality and world class amenities, and recommitting to the values of environmental responsibility and community partnership, Kauai Lagoons once again welcomes the World’s distinguished to share in the beauty and relax on the shores of Kalapaki Bay.